CYCLEPSYCHO'S 78 GL1000 RAT BIKE:

11/09/07
Started out with a vandalized and beat to hell 78 GL1000:


Someone was not kind to this bike

Flat tires make a dressed Goldwing a real drag (or push) to move around, so the first thing I did was put some new tires on it.

Next job was to "get naked".  Someone had cut the coil wires, so I replaced the coils.

Next, a fender off an old Harley SX250 and an early model Yamaha tail light. 
A Kawasaki KZ1000 Police seat and 1 and 1/2 cans of OD Green paint.

Looking better.  Still need to do the front end, exhaust and some other minor detail.

A pair of 20mm ammo cans from the surplus store make for nice big bags.  No need to even paint them!
These cans will hold 75 cans of your favorite beverage each!  I had to fabricate some mounts to fit them to the
Vetter bag mounts, but that's what welders and drills are for, right?

11/14/07:
So that's where I'm at so far.  More to come as I get some time.  So far, I'm about 6 hours into this project.


UPDATE 12/07/07:

Well, it's been 3 weeks since my last update.  I got a little deeper into this project than I had originally planned, but then who doesn't when you are dealing with a beat up, 29 year old motorcycle?  Turns out the engine had a whopping 75 psi of compression on the cylinders.  Not enough for good running.  Luckily, I had a 77 engine sitting on the floor with good compression, so I had to do a motor swap.  Then I ran into carburetor issues.  I really didn't want to go with a full scale rebuild, since the whole purpose of this project is to keep things on a seriously low budget and only use parts I had sitting on the shelves here at Cyclepsycho.  I've become quite good at removing and installing GL1000 carburetors, which I can do in about 10 minutes now.  On the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, I had a wrecked 1981 GL1100 come my way.  It was a good running bike, until it was "abruptly parked", so I decided to use the carbs off of it.
They went right on and things seem to run fine.  I have yet to synch them up, but so far so good.  Meanwhile, I've gone through 5 cans of Krylon camo paint.  Here's where we are at so far:

I finished the mounts for the "bags", replaced the front forks with some ones I rebuilt and painted more parts.  I've been blowing OD green boogers out of my nose for a week.

I used a fender from a Yamaha XS360.  It fits fine with the use of 1/2 inch wide bronze bushings as spacers.


I'll probably end up painting the wheels, but that can wait a week or so.


Found some old Vetter trunk lights and used them for turn signals/running lights.


That crusty old KZ1000 seat is not only comfortable, but it fits the look I was going for.

Going to have to do something with those bars.

That engine is too clean.  Give it a few rides in the Oregon rain and I think it will "age" nicely.



It's a doggie bag of sorts......


January, 2009:

I've added a few more things:

Windshield, canvas bags on the side and a truck horn to really make you move out of the way.










Back to Cyclepsycho